Wednesday, September 15, 2010

~Reveal Day for Sraps of Darkness~

I was sooooo anticipating this kit!! As a DT I had a heads up of what was coming, so I got really excited, because I've been wanting to play with these papers the moment I saw them. I love steampunk and everything to do with it!! So here is my collection of layouts created with the September Scraps of Darkness kit!!

This first layout is a take of the sketch I created for SOD. These are pics of my daughter, Tyler, dressed up like a little steampunk debutante!
I kept the sketch pretty simple this month, because there is so many different directions you can go with this kit, as far as fussy cutting or embellies!

Tip: Using raised adhesives, like pop dots or foam adhesive really adds a lot of dimension to your pages.
Melinda added some awesome sheets of steampunk in with this kit. The images were so cool and easily cut out.
This is my favorite of all four layouts. I did some heavy wet distressing for this one. This is also of my daughter, Tyler. My favorite element of this layout is the goggle ad I cut out from one of the pieces of patterned paper. All items used for this layout were from the kit, with the exception of the Ranger metal clip.
Tip: Keep a small spray bottle of water at your work space. This way if you get the urge to wet distress you don't have to carry your paper to the kitchen sink. Distress your edges, ink them, spray with water, and crinkle them up.
I was asked to create stick pins for this kit and just got the news that they will be a reoccurring feature in future kits!!! YAY!!
Tip: When you do fussy cutting, take your time and don't rip through anything. Use small scissors and cuticle scissors can be really helpful in those tiny little spots. Another tip is to ink the edges so it doesn't look like you just cut it out.
I found these pics online and had to use them!! Celina aka forevervampress, is having a challenge over at scrapbook.com that is a Steampunk only theme. This month's twist is anything having to deal with school, so when I saw these pics I printed them right away!! The top one is a lunch box, the next one is a cell phone (seems like all students these days have one), then the bottom pic is a computer. I added a few of my own items to this layout, including the Dusty Attic dress form that fit perfectly underneath a cut out of a female body. I also used my own Ranger masks and transparencies. I added a couple flowers from last months kit.
Again I did a lot of cutwork. To give the flowers this metallic look, I sprayed them with some silvery Smooch Spritz.
This layout gave me the most fits... This is a pic of my son, Brent, and even though this was the second layout I started, it was the last one to finish. I made this and got 3/4 into it and thought I was done, but them came back to it and it needed more!! So lots of fussy cutting and little details later, this is what happened! I stuck with all kit items for this layout except for the brads.
Tip: Using brads to connect gears gives off the idea that they are actually self functioning.
Don't be afraid to play with your photos. Adding dimension doesn't have to stop with paper, it can spread out onto your entire layout, including your photo. This pic was just an average, everyday photo of my son on our deck, with his little sister digging in a bin behind him. Not steampunk at all, so I used some items from the kit and created a whole new look for him.
Don't forget to enter my September giveaway!! Thanks for stopping by and God Bless!!

16 comments:

  1. These are all awsome - love them!!!! I ordered some Steampunk and then thought OMG what am I going to do with it......LOL but after all this inspirtion I can't wait for it to arrive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did absoultely fantastic with this kit! I love all your layouts! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow so cool layout
    have a good evening

    XXcarla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice lacing in the bottom layout. Like the oval filter on the photo in the top layout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wooo, love these projects!!! Great idea to add things to your son's pic, that drew my eye right away. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You went above and beyond and it shows!!! Wonderful pages!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Mandy you totally rocked these LO's ...... there is soooo much to look at in each one of these.Just stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your Steampunk is amazing! I love all the embells and your girls are dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandy, your work is so unique and oh so pretty! I love all of the detail you always include in each of your layouts and projects! The fussy cutting and dimensions are sooo fabulous! I am especially in love with the last layout- the way you altered your everyday photo to your theme and the way you did the gears? Ugh, perfection!

    Because your work is so inspiring to me, I have passed along to you a blog award today on my blog. :) ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love them all Mandy!! You've totally inspired me to pull out my Steampunk and start using it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work is stunning! I am so happy to see you post to the Graphic45 Ning Gallery! I do hope you try out for the team next year!!!

    Gloria - Graphic45 DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGoodness! Mandy you really got into these and it shows. They are outstanding! I love the idea of using the brads to connect your gears. All of the details are so yummy!!! Brent kind of reminds me of a Borg from Star Trek Next Generation LOL. He looks great! Thanks for all of the pics. I just keep going back to look. Thanks for the inspiration!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. These los are just wonderful. Especially love the 2nd one with tyler wearing that aviator hat. Love for you to link them up to my Victorian Fantasy challenge inspired by Steampunk Debutante.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was inspired by Anna this month over at Swirlydoos and decided that with my TA kit for May I was going to do something "steam punk-ish". Imagine my shock when I was looking for inspiration online one of my swirly sisters pops up. Although this is one of your older blogs it was very inspirational! Thanx once again chicki. God bless sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails