Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Look of Old Leather

Ok so I wanted to create a look of old leather and I think I came pretty close. This is a picture of a layout that I am still working on, so I am only showing the section with the book. From this view you can see that it's flat, but from a top view it looks pretty realistic. This angle was the best as far as picking up the sheen of the faux leather. So my goal was to go for a very old book that had a cover purely made of leather and no book board. Here is how I did it.

I took fudge colored cardstock and sprayed it with water on both sides. Then I crinkled it up quite a bit. After that I cut out the piece I wanted for my book and, while wet, I inked it with black so that it brought out the wrinkles. Then I let it dry and did it again for more definition. Then I took some crackle glaze and spread it sparingly all over the book cover so that it gave it a sheen like leather. I added the ribbon and bling to the cover along with a grungboard hinge and blingy brad. So as you can see, this is for an old medieval look or however you want to call that era. As soon as I am done with the whole layout I will post it as well.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome technique! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool...really does look like leather!! TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. TFS. Sandi
    http://softsideofsandi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails