This first layout is a take of the sketch I created for SOD. These are pics of my daughter, Tyler, dressed up like a little steampunk debutante!
I kept the sketch pretty simple this month, because there is so many different directions you can go with this kit, as far as fussy cutting or embellies!
Tip: Using raised adhesives, like pop dots or foam adhesive really adds a lot of dimension to your pages.
Melinda added some awesome sheets of steampunk in with this kit. The images were so cool and easily cut out.
This is my favorite of all four layouts. I did some heavy wet distressing for this one. This is also of my daughter, Tyler. My favorite element of this layout is the goggle ad I cut out from one of the pieces of patterned paper. All items used for this layout were from the kit, with the exception of the Ranger metal clip.
Tip: Keep a small spray bottle of water at your work space. This way if you get the urge to wet distress you don't have to carry your paper to the kitchen sink. Distress your edges, ink them, spray with water, and crinkle them up.
I was asked to create stick pins for this kit and just got the news that they will be a reoccurring feature in future kits!!! YAY!!
Tip: When you do fussy cutting, take your time and don't rip through anything. Use small scissors and cuticle scissors can be really helpful in those tiny little spots. Another tip is to ink the edges so it doesn't look like you just cut it out.
I found these pics online and had to use them!! Celina aka forevervampress, is having a challenge over at scrapbook.com that is a Steampunk only theme. This month's twist is anything having to deal with school, so when I saw these pics I printed them right away!! The top one is a lunch box, the next one is a cell phone (seems like all students these days have one), then the bottom pic is a computer. I added a few of my own items to this layout, including the Dusty Attic dress form that fit perfectly underneath a cut out of a female body. I also used my own Ranger masks and transparencies. I added a couple flowers from last months kit.
Again I did a lot of cutwork. To give the flowers this metallic look, I sprayed them with some silvery Smooch Spritz.
This layout gave me the most fits... This is a pic of my son, Brent, and even though this was the second layout I started, it was the last one to finish. I made this and got 3/4 into it and thought I was done, but them came back to it and it needed more!! So lots of fussy cutting and little details later, this is what happened! I stuck with all kit items for this layout except for the brads.
Tip: Using brads to connect gears gives off the idea that they are actually self functioning.
Don't be afraid to play with your photos. Adding dimension doesn't have to stop with paper, it can spread out onto your entire layout, including your photo. This pic was just an average, everyday photo of my son on our deck, with his little sister digging in a bin behind him. Not steampunk at all, so I used some items from the kit and created a whole new look for him.