Friday, July 31, 2009

Faux Envelope

Just wanted to post an update to this post. I just realized today that Lisa a designer at Swirlydoos also did a faux envelope, so I felt bad, like I was stepping on her toes, even though I didn't know she made one. Anway I wanted to give her credit for the envelopes, but I will leave the tutorial here still.

I have noticed that a few ladies were using some old Prima packaging envelopes on their layouts. The look is incredibly cute and since I don't own any of those envelopes I decided to create my own faux one. Again these are VERY easy to do. Check out this layout I did with the Swirlydoos August kit: Here is what you will need as far as the basic plain envelope goes. I used an 8.5x11 sheet of cream colored cardstock, a corner rounder, a 1/2" circle punch, some pattern paper of your choice, two small brads, and some twine or hemp rope. (You can totally get creative here and use whatever fun things you would like to close your item)

Use the corner rounder on each corner of one end of the 8.5x11 sheet. Then fold over about an inch and a half of the top.
Now you can either choose to decorate your paper before you attach the the closing device or after, that's up to you. I punched two small circles of my pattern paper and attached them with brads, not glue. This way you can wrap the twine or cord around underneath it.
This is how I chose to wrap and close the envelope. Like I said you can totally get creative or just glue it down, whatever. Easy isn't it!!
When it comes to actually decorating your envelope, you can use basically anything and everything. I used a newspaper stamp and inked mine. Then I drew some stitching lines around the top of the envelope with a Zig marker. I also thought it would be cute to find some travel stamps or a top secret stamp, but I don't have any. You can even stick your cardstock in a printer and print something on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails